Early this year, all eyes have been on dramatic efforts in New York and Virginia to expand abortion right up to the moment a child is being born. The radical left and their supporters in the Democratic Party aren’t even pretending any longer to oppose infanticide. This week they’re focused on fiscal issues as they gather at the State House for a week of budget deliberations.
Pro-abortion zealots filed their own legislation here in MA to dramatically increase abortions earlier this year. Sadly, while MA law does ban abortion after 24 weeks, the ban is a very weak one with fewer impediments than other states. So what new horror are they demanding?
The first step: eliminate any parental involvement of any kind so greedy abortionists can pressure scared children into agreeing to abortions.
Called the Roe Act, (SB 1209 and HB 3320) this legislation would:
- Wipe out all parental involvement – parents would not need to be notified, and underage girls would no longer be required to go to court to get an abortion without the permission of their parents
- Give abortion doctors complete discretion on performance of abortions – Medical judgment “may be exercised in the light of all factors—physical, emotional, psychological, familial, and the person’s age—relevant to the well-being of the patient.” This strips away any final hurdle to abortion at any stage of the baby’s development, for any reason.
- Remove any requirement to save the life of the child during or after the abortion. So if a baby is accidentally born during a late term procedure, it can still be killed.
- Allow abortions to be performed anywhere—removing any kind of requirement that they be performed in a hospital.Back-alley abortions will now be legal and celebrated by the left—regardless of the safety of the mother. Gone are the days when Democrats claimed they wanted abortion to be safe, legal, and rare. Now, it’s anything goes.
- Allow “Healthy Start” funds to be used to pay for abortions for middle-class women that do not have Medicaid/Masshealth. Healthy Start is a wellness program designed to assist pregnant women and their babies to ensure healthy moms and kids. In a sick twist, funds could be taken from them to fund abortions for women not on public assistance.
We need your help to let your elected officials know that this legislation goes too far, right now, while they’re in their offices during budget week. And we need your help to let your friends, neighbors, and the average non-political person know what’s going on.
Email your legislators to tell them to oppose this legislation.