( – promoted by Rob “EaBo Clipper” Eno)
It’s official Charlie Baker has picked former state rep Karyn Polito as his running-mate.
Some quick observations:
1) The ticket is a pretty good fit geographically. Western MA voters should be happy.
2) Polito did reasonably well in 2010 in her unsuccessful run for state Treasurer against Steve Grossman. She also has legislative experience.
3) The Yankee-Italian makeup is not to be discounted. See Weld-Cellucci during the glory years. In the Cellucci mold, she brings a decent resume of experience in the House; she would be tasked with interacting with the legislature.
4) Conservatives should be pleased generally and the Tea Party shouldn’t complain. Polito is no RINO (a term we hate).
5) The Polito pick is a move to diversify the GOP slate statewide (expect more to come even if finding candidates for all four major statewide seats is a struggle.)
6) This should mildly worry the Democrats who have no break-out candidate and are yielding the slow-motion month of December to the MA-GOP.
7) Inside sources suggest that Polito’s pick is an endorsement of the NewMasssPlaybook which emphasizes minimizing the electoral gap for GOP candidates in urban districts. No wonder the GOP’s convention will take place in Boston next year.
8) As in 2010, the GOP ticket allows candidates to max out on donations before year end, an advantage that can’t take place on the Democratic side.