Tomorrow, on Tuesday, June 11th, the legislature’s Joint Committee on Labor and Workforce Development will be holding a hearing at 10 am in the Gardner Auditorium. They will consider several bills, one of which would significantly increase the minimum wage in Massachusetts. The bill is sponsored by four legislators: Senators Marc Pacheco (D-Taunton) and Dan Wolf (D-Harwich), Representative Michael Brady (D-Brockton), and former Representative Marty Walz (D-Back Bay).
Specifically, the bill seeks to do all of the following:
• increase the minimum wage from $8/hr to $9/hr 60 days after enactment
• increase the minimum wage from $9/hr to $10/hr on July 1, 2014
• increase the minimum wage from $10/hr to $11/hr on July 1, 2015
• index the minimum wage to inflation beginning in 2016
• mandate that the MA minimum wage be $1.50/hr above the federal minimum wage
Senate President Murray has publicly indicated her openness to this measure, which would almost certainly have major negative consequences for the Massachusetts economy. Therefore, it is very important that as many opponents as are able show up. If you know other elected officials, candidates, or business owners who would be willing to testify, please encourage them to do so. This would be a great opportunity for them to make a positive difference in our Commonwealth!