Having worked on dozens of political campaigns as a volunteer, staffer or consultant and I understand that passions can run high. That being said as a Massachusetts Republican I have to ask that if we are going to participate in a circular firing squad that we point our guns outward. we are outnumbered as it is.
As a supporter of Dan Winslow in the Republican primary election for U.S. Senate I have posted countless, notes, Facebook updates, tweets etc. in support of his campaign. I have posted a total of one item that was negative towards another candidate which I quickly deleted and later publicly apologized for.
That is why I am so distressed by an endless litany of lies aimed at Winslow by a supporter of another candidate. Here is a partial list.
- He said pro-life candidates deserve to lose.
- He is radically pro-abortion and has been endorsed by Planned Parenthood.
- He voted for the “Bathroom Bill.”
- His tax plan is to the left of Elizabeth Warren.
- He’s really a Democrat because he votes with Massachusetts House Speaker 55% of the time.
Let me take these one-by-one.
1) Dan never said pro-life candidates deserve to lose. He was asked a question about the viability of a Republican candidate as the party is associated with candidates such as Todd Akins and Richard Murddock and their statements about abortion and legitimate rape.
“If we continue to send basically gifts to the democrats in the form of culture wars, for general elections, then the democrats will continue to beat us and we’ll deserve to lose,” said Winslow in an interview with WCVB TV. “In Massachusetts, a social conservative can not win in June. People can make a point in a primary, but they can’t win in June.”
You can watch the WCVB-TV report HERE if you want to hear for yourself.
2) Dan is pro-choice although he supports Parental Notification and opposes late-term abortion. This is hardly a “radically pro-abortion” position. In fact it is a position supported by a majority of Massachusetts voters. He has also never been endorsed by Planned Parenthood. Here is their list of endorsed candidates for the 2012 elections. PPA has endorsed Ed Markey in this race.
3) Dan voted for the Transgendered Rights Bill which granted equal rights to transgendered people just as the rights of women, people of color, gays, lesbians and others are protected. Any and all language regarding access to bathrooms or other facilities was removed from the bill Dan voted for.
4) Dan has offered a Tax Plan that simplifies the Tax Code and would lower the corporate rate from 35% to 26%. hardly to the left of Senator Warren. He has also been endorsed by the Massachusetts Fiscal Alliance and Barbara Anderson, founder of Citizen’s for Limited Taxation.
5) Dan votes with Democratic Leadership 55% of the time. While that is technically true it is still a lie by statistics. You see Republican representatives vote with Democrats between 52% and 67.9%. So at 55% Dan is at the low end of the range. The same link also shows that Dan votes with Republican Leadership 98.3% of the time.
As Dan says “Let’s focus on the 80% or 90% that we do agree on.” Let’s remember that any of our three candidates are better than either of the Democrat’s two candidates. Support your candidate and stop lying about the others.