The hypocrisy of the Obama Administration has now reached a new low. On Tuesday, Veterans Affairs Secretary Eric Shinsheki confirmed to a Senate Committee a plan by the Obama Administration which will require veterans to pay for treatment of service related injuries with private health insurance. Although the plan had not been announced publicly, veterans groups had caught wind of the proposal and had begun lobbying congress on behalf of their members. The groups included the American Legion, VFW, Disabled American Veterans, and Military Order of the Purple Heart.
This is quite a different approach to veterans health care than that which was proposed by Candidate Obama:
Barack Obama and Joe Biden's Plan
A Sacred Trust
Barack Obama and Joe Biden believe that America has a sacred trust with our veterans. They are committed to creating a 21st Century Department of Veterans' Affairs that provides the care and benefits our nation's veterans deserve.
- Allow All Veterans Back into the VA: One of Obama's first acts will be reversing the 2003 ban on enrolling modest-income veterans, which has denied care to a million veterans.
- Strengthen VA Care: Obama and Biden will make the VA a leader of national health care reform so that veterans get the best care possible. They will improve care for polytrauma vision impairment, prosthetics, spinal cord injury, aging, and women's health.
- Combat Homelessness among Our Nation's Veterans: Obama and Biden will establish a national "zero tolerance" policy for veterans falling into homelessness by expanding proven programs and launching innovative services to prevent veterans from falling into homelessness.
- Fight Veterans Employment Discrimination: Obama and Biden will crack down on employers who commit job discrimination against guardsmen and reservists.
Help for Returning Service Members
Obama and Biden will improve the quality of health care for veterans, rebuild the VA's broken benefits system, and combat homelessness among veterans.
- Ensure a Seamless Transition: Obama and Biden will demand that the military and the VA coordinate to provide a seamless transition from active duty to civilian life.
- Fully Fund VA Medical Care: Barack Obama and Joe Biden will fully fund the VA so it has all the resources it needs to serve the veterans who need it, when they need it. Obama and Biden will establish a world-class VA Planning Division to avoid future budget shortfalls.
- Fix the Benefits Bureaucracy: Obama and Biden will hire additional claims workers, and improve training and accountability so that VA benefit decisions are rated fairly and consistently. They also will transform the paper benefit claims process to an electronic one to reduce errors and improve timeliness.
Many believe that military veterans receive free health care upon retirement. The fact is that retired veterans already pay for health care insurance through the TRICARE program.
This is the ultimate slap in the face to those men and women who choose to serve in the military and place their lives in harms if necessary. Thankfully, Shinsheki was told in no uncertain terms by the Senators that the plan would be, "Dead on Arrival".