This Poll and Open thread is for the “Most Corrupt in America” award for 2008. There are more categories to come.
Blago? Spitzer? Rangel? – You decide!
1) Rod Blagojevich: I've got this Governor and he's gold, but I'm not going to just give this award away!
2) William Jefferson: “Cold Hard Cash” has new meaning when it's found in your freezer.
3) John Edwards: Sure, his action were perhaps more “slimy” than corrupt. I still think he deserves a mention here. He did pay his mistress with campaign funds. Being 99% sure he won't win this category is not longer good enough.
4) Kwame Kilpatrick: The mayor of Detroit somehow found a way to make his city look even worse. He eventually resigned and spent 4 months in prison.
5) Elliot Spitzer: He was just cleaning up New York one hooker at a time.
6) Bill Clinton: He could be nominated any year. The 2008 version of Clinton scandal are his library donors. Arab Governments. Cash for Pardons. Humanitarian Scams. Bailout Wannabes. Too bad this isn't a “Lifetime Achievement” award.
7) Charlie Rangel: The powerful Ways and Means chair helps the poor by personally having 4 rent controlled apartments. He fights against “the system” by refusing to report his rental income or pay his taxes. He represents his constituents by using government resources to solicit donors for a public policy institute in his name at City College that bears his name. My hero.
8) Chris Dodd: The chairman of the Senate Banking Committee proposed the corporate bailout of Countrywide Financial. Countrywide gave him a sweet “Friends of Angelo” low mortgages that he failed to report. Countrywide has given more money to Dodd than anyone else.[poll id=”